Have you ever noticed how relaxed you feel when you begin to focus on your breath? Well, next time you relax, you need to take a moment to notice how your body feels and focus on your breathing. You should even take note of how you are breathing when you go to sleep or wake up.
Breathing exercises are an excellent way to relax and unwind as they make your body feel exactly how it does when you’re in your most relaxed state. This is because deep breaths send messages to your brain that makes it calm down and relax. In turn, your body listens and winds down.
Breathing exercises are an accessible way to manage stress and to tune into your body and ANS (autonomic nervous system) – Downward regulation is something we all should learn, and understand the disctintion between our stress responses and our relaxation responses.
Some Key Points
Here are some key points to consider when it comes to breathing exercises:
• You can do many different exercises to see which one works best for you.
• The way you breathe can affect your entire body.
• Breathing exercises are a great way to reduce tension, relax, and relieve stress.
• Breathing exercises are easy to learn.
• You can do your breathing exercises whenever you see fit.
How to Add Breathing Exercises to Your Day
Breathing exercises really don’t have to take a lot of time out of your day. Instead, you just need to set aside a few minutes of your time to pay specific attention to your breathing. Here are some excellent ideas to get you started:
• Begin with only five minutes per day.
• Increase your breathing exercise time as it becomes more comfortable and easier for you.
• If 5 minutes feels too long for you, just start with 2 minutes.
• Practice breathing multiple times per day.
• Schedule set times or practice breathing whenever you feel the need.
The Bottom Line
There are many breathing exercises you can do to help you relax. However, belly breathing has shown to be the best beginner-friendly breathing exercise. It is very easy to do.
You can try most of the breathing exercises right away, but it is better to start off as easy as possible. Take time to learn the different exercises and techniques. You can even speak to a professional who can help you develop a specific schedule.
Breathing exercises can make all the difference when it comes to your mental, emotional, and physical health. In fact, most people who begin breathing exercises find themselves feeling far better and capable of managing stress and feeling overwhelmed when it occurs. They are a must have in your self-care toolkit.